Redefining your value.

*What great value I've learnt*

Prior to the time I was to be posted for my youth service. I was suppose to have graduated a year earlier and gone for service that year, but unfortunately, I had a delay and the plans I had earlier made with a friend on the service year  was forfeited. My delay was not attributed to the fact that I had a carry over in my exams but because I decided not to go for a practical course that I counted irrelevant to my course of study and unknown to me, it was a university course that can't be waived. So I had to pay a session school fees again and got delayed over a 1 unit practical course that I thought won't matter.

*Lesson learnt: Ignorance kills.  That which you think doesn't matter could be the reason for your fall/ rising*.

I was disappointed in myself, and as I saw my colleagues posting pictures of themselves in camp on our WhatsApp platform, I felt I was a failure.

*Note: You are never a failure because you fail, you are only a failure when you accept that you are one*
 *You can never know the definition of success/ winning until you see or experience failure/defeat by yourself or in others*

After all this, I needed to take a job to pay my fee for the extra year and to support myself. At the time, only a teaching job was available and the pay was just about 71% of the NYSC allawee. I had the choice of quitting at the end of the term but I couldn't because the Proprietress of the school was well known to my parents. I kept on working there and more than the monthly income I was to discover that it was a training ground for me to build good value such as; patience, punctuality, responsibility, discipline, team work, self confidence, what it entails to be a good leader and many more. From there, I learnt how to be a good employer and also a good employee. These set of intangibles that I was gaining to myself were actually worth much more than the tangibles I was receiving at the end of each month.

*Note: I could only gain the intangibles because I choose to persevere.*

After months of working there, I finally cleared my outstanding course and I was mobilize for my youth service, as at this time, my colleagues were already done with theirs.

*Lesson learnt: The times and seasons that come beckoning  on others to usher them into greatness and fulfilment will surely come beckoning on you too. Just be steadfast and unmovable, so that when the seasons come, you are met fully prepared and not caught unaware*.

Now, I have left the job, but the values I have cultivated haven't left me. I am no more earning from the job, but the values I have gained are still paying me.

* Note: Much more than the job, go for value*

While typing this post, I remember a video I saw recently, where the founder of Alibaba; Jack Ma was addressing some guys, he told them "After graduating school, don't go for a high paying job, but rather go for a job where you will have a good boss who can teach you true value and how to be humane".

@ Theavens 2019


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knowing / Understanding Who You Are

Finishing Strong

EXCELLENCE